KIM, collaboration with ESA
We began to collaborate with the European Space Agency in 2012, when the ESA contracted us to evaluate, prioritize and analyze the Agency’s patent portfolio, for its application in non-space sectors within Spain.
Subsequently, between 2016 and 2020, ESA appointed us a Broker for Spain. During this period, we identified the business innovations developed by the Spanish space sector and by ESA, in order to commercialize them in non-space sectors.
Currently, collaboration between organizations in activities related to the aerospace sector continues.
Our work as a broker
ESA’s Technology Transfer netowcred de brókers de Transferencia de Tecnología de la ESAnetwork of Technology Transfer brokers offers broad support to the space industry through the identification and exploitation of new business opportunities. Throughout this period, ESA brokers also facilitate access to these technologies to the non-space industry in their respective countries. Once this work has been completed in Spain, we maintain our commitment to the Spanish space sector, maintaining the main services:
- Identify technological needs in the non-space sector
- Mediating between the space and “non-space” industry
- Commercialization of the spatial technological offer
- Dissemination of success stories
What KIM can do for you
- Promotion of the aerospace industry in Spain.
- Promotion of the “Spain” brand as a technological brand at an international level.
- Promoting innovation in SMEs through actions that help them innovate quickly (for example, by acquiring technologies instead of developing them).
- Generation of new business opportunities, by licensing its technologies to companies in non-space sectors, or by creating new R&D projects to advance the TRL space technology.
- Visibility through dissemination of success stories (application of their technologies in other sectors) and other communication activities
Large non-space corporations
- Creation of lines of work in the aerospace field.
- Design of intrapreneurship programs related to the best application to the business of a space technology
Fast track to innovation, by detecting technological challenges and solving them with ESA technologies.
2-day intensive feasibility workshop working with experts to facilitate the entry into the market of the technology transfer projects.
As a part of the World Space Week 2017 programme, it discussed with experts the options that open us to the future by exploring other planets.
The “ESA Tech-Landing” Contest was an initiative of ESA, KIM and the support of ESA BIC Madrid, with the main objective of rewarding technology based entrepreneurship, using ESA’s patented technologies as value propositions of new business models not directly linked to the aerospace sector.
The winner solution (“Preventing head-clogging of ink-jet printers for ceramics -tiles- by the use of an advanced fluid filters”), devised by the Spanish researcher Breogán Pato, is based on the use of an advanced fluidic filter (pat 642) developed by ESA.
Being the winner of the “ESA Tech-Landing 2016” contest, Breogán Pato has the opportunity to present his project at the selection process in order to enter one of the ESA BICs.
Recently, “MAintenance of Remote INfrastructures and Equipments (MARINE)”, another finalist project of the “ESA Tech-Landing” contest, has been selected to take part in the “Space Creativity Centre” (ESA support programme to validate technologies).
On 10 September 2016, citizens from 22 European countries participated in the first Citizens’ Debate on Space for Europe. This event was organised by ESA with the support of Missions Publiques. During the course of the day, citizens had the opportunity to learn, debate, have their say and participate by suggesting priorities on all aspects of current and future space programmes.
This consultation on an unprecedented scale took place simultaneously in all 22 Member States of the European Space Agency (ESA). The Spanish edition of this event was organized by KIM and with the support of ESA BIC Madrid and it involved about 100 citizens.
The Innovation Meets, powered by KIM, sought to promote best practices in innovation and tech transfer. The aim of this special edition, organized by KIM and with the support of ESA BIC Madrid, was two-fold:
- Showing the keys to transfer space technology to other sectors.
- Understanding the technological challenges of leading entities and how space technologies can solve them.
This event was attended by prominent speakers from ESA TTPO, ESA BIC Madrid, Fundación madri+d, LES, Madrid Aerospace Cluster, CDTI, 3M, ALTER Technology, Indra, Acciona, OHL…
Do you need more informartion?
Do not hesitate, contact us!
Interviews and communication materials
Links of interest
Vanesa Ramos · Project Manager of ESA Broker in Spain